Harvey Cedars Bible Conference has a long tradition of serving the Christian community.
In August of 1941 the conference grounds were purchased by evangelist Jack Murray, who was a dynamic leader of the “Summer Bible School” movement, which later became AWANA. With God’s leading, the conference broadened in outreach and nationally known figures such as Frances Schaeffer, Vernon Grounds, and Jack Wyrtzen frequently spoke here.
Since then, Harvey Cedars has been operating as a non-profit Christian conference and retreat center with a ministry that is interdenominational. Over 500 staff alumni have gone out from the Conference to become missionaries, teachers, and pastors across the globe.
The Reverend Al Oldham became the director in 1951, and from 1951 to 1995, Al carried on the ministry as its director. Through the years several buildings were added to the facility, including a dining hall, chapel, lodge, gymnasium, and indoor heated pool. In 1994 the expansive bayfront 24-unit Bayview Lodge was completed. Jonathan S. Oldham became the third Conference Director in 1995 and has continued to work to grow the ministry and oversee extensive facilities improvements. Most recently, the completion of the Davis Center, with its state of the art gymnasium, locker rooms, class and meeting rooms, a well-equipped marine biology lab/classroom, and fitness room will help the conference to continue to minister to teens, young adults, and families for years to come.
Contact us if you would like to receive a more detailed history booklet by mail.